Symptoms caused by Knee Instability
- Crepitation with movement
- Knee pain
- Knee popping
- Knee swelling
- Loss of knee motion
- Loss of muscle strength
- Muscle spasms
- Referral lower leg pain
These symptoms can be signs of the following knee pain conditions caused by knee instability that we commonly treat with Prolotherapy.
Chronic Conditions caused by Knee Instability
Knee pain can start from a traumatic event, such as a fall or football tackle. Or it can become more apparent over time, with increasingly stiff and swollen knees. Knee joint instability is the most common reason for knee pain, yet often goes undiagnosed in patients and lead to unnecessary knee surgery. It is due to weakness or tears of the ligaments and tendon attachments surrounding the knee joint. Knee instability can also result in the kneecap tracking abnormally, causing pain and the cartilage under the kneecap to wear down.
How soft tissue injury leads to Degenerative Arthritis
Following a trauma, ligaments become sprained and relaxed. If left untreated, chronic joint instability and destructive joint motion occur with continued use of the joint, ultimately leading to extensive degenerative changes and osteoarthritis. Destructive joint motion and the degenerative process can be prevented with appropriate intervention through Prolotherapy, including traditional dextrose Prolotherapy, Platelet Rich Plasma, and Stem Cell Therapy. These regenerative treatments can be used for arthritic joints as well, but utilizing these options earlier can potentially save a lot of lost time and lifestyle adjustments due to pain.
Prolotherapy Treatment for Knee Pain
Prolotherapy stops knee pain because it corrects the reason for the knee pain, plain and simple. Prolotherapy injections target the damaged ligaments that are causing the underlying knee instability which, in turn, causes destructive joint motions that erode the cartilage. By stabilizing knee joint motion, Prolotherapy can stop the accelerated degenerative cascade, and even allow the regeneration of cartilage as can be seen on x-ray. The injections induce a localized, temporary inflammatory response, stimulating your body’s natural healing cascade. Remember, no tissue in the body repairs without the use of inflammation—it is how all of our tissues repair! The local inflammation induced by Prolotherapy is far different than chronic, systemic inflammatory conditions. The use of Prolotherapy is also the complete opposite of pain “management” treatments like cortisone injections and NSAIDs. Corticosteroids and NSAIDs (such as ibuprofen) are used to turn off the pain signal, but also turn off the body’s healing (inflammatory) cascade, a crippling long-term side effect that does not allow for normal knee repair and sets a patient up for eventual knee replacement surgery. As opposed to knee surgery, a major advantage of a Prolotherapy treatment course is that patients remain active while the tissue repairs.
Knee Prolotherapy vs. Knee Surgery
Which would you rather have?
The Caring Medical Prolotherapy protocols treat the knee more comprehensively when compared to the majority of other regenerative protocols, including offices doing single-shot PRP or stem cell injections. Whether a patient is an ideal candidate for traditional dextrose Prolotherapy, Platelet Rich Plasma, or Stem Cell therapy, each patient receives a full joint treatment. In our clinical experience, providing patients with more comprehensive treatment techniques is superior for obtaining long-term Prolotherapy results, and fewer overall treatments are typically needed. Our specialists work with each patient to determine which solution is ideal to turn on the type of healing response needed to resolve the condition.
Prolotherapy Treatment for Knee Arthritis
Degenerative vs. Regenerative cascade. Traditional treatments intensify the degenerative cascade wheras Prolotherapy restores knee joint physiology and biomechanics.
Our Research on the use of Prolotherapy for Knee Pain
In our observational study, patients with unresolved knee pain reported clinically relevant improvements in their pain levels and quality of life after receiving dextrose Prolotherapy. The complete study and results can be read here: Hauser R, Hauser M. A Retrospective Study on Dextrose Prolotherapy for Unresolved Knee Pain at an Outpatient Charity Clinic in Rural Illinois. Journal of Prolotherapy. 2009;1(1):11-21.
Pain scale is 1-10 where 1 = no pain & 10 = unrelenting pain.
We get patient satisfaction results. 96% of patients in this study felt that Prolotherapy changed their life for the better and 97% have since recommended Prolotherapy to someone else.
Our Research on the use of Prolotherapy for Meniscal Tears
In our meniscal pathology pilot study, Prolotherapy showed positive improvements in pain levels, stiffness and quality of life in patients with meniscal tears and degeneration. This includes tears in all three meniscal zones, as well complete and complex meniscal tears. From the patient’s point of view there were noticeable improvements in crepitation and range of motion of their knees. Major improvements in walking ability, exercise ability, and decreased medication usage was also reported with Prolotherapy.
Pain scale is 1-10 where 1 = no pain & 10 = unrelenting pain.
To the question
“Did Prolotherapy meet your expectations?”
(27 out of 28) of the patients treated answered “Yes.”
Our Research on the use of Prolotherapy for Chondromalacia Patella
In our retrospective study of 69 knees diagnosed with chondromalacia patella, Prolotherapy improved pain, range of motion, stiffness, crepitus, and much more. Patients also experienced a drastic decrease, or in some cases even elimination, of the need for pain medication. Other interesting findings to note, of the 16 knees that were recommended for surgery prior to receiving prolotherapy, only 3 knees were recommended for surgery after Prolotherapy, and 58/61 patients said prolotherapy met or exceeded their expectations.
Prolotherapy helps people get off pain medication!
PRESCRIPTION PAIN MEDICATIONS PER DAY
Prolotherapy helps people avoid knee surgery!
Prolotherapy meets or exceeds expectations!
of patients in this study said Prolotherapy met or exceeded their expectations.”
Prolotherapy improves mobility!
|No distance restriction for walking||24 (35.3%)||56 (82.3%)|
|Mild: > 3 blocks but not as far as desired||26 (38.2%)||11 (16.2%)|
|Moderate: 1−2 blocks||4 (5.9%)||1 (1.5%)|
|Severe: < 1 block||8 (11.8%)||0|
|Total disability requires wheelchair or aid||6 (8.8%)||0|
|None: exercise ability not affected||6 (8.8%)||38 (55.9%)|
|Mild: no restrictions; can exercise > 60 min,
but not as long as desired
|9 (13.2%)||23 (33.8%)|
|Moderate: can exercise 30−60 min maximum||17 (25.0%)||5 (7.3%)|
|Severe: can exercise 0−30 min maximum||18 (27.3%)||1 (1.5%)|
|Total disability||17 (25.0%)||1 (1.5%)|
Our other studies on regenerative treatment outcomes for knee pain
- The Case for Utilizing Prolotherapy as First-Line Treatment for Meniscal Pathology: A Retrospective Study Shows Prolotherapy is Effective in the Treatment of MRI-Documented Meniscal Tears and Degeneration
- The Deterioration of Articular Cartilage in Osteoarthritis by Corticosteroid Injections
- Standard Clinical X-ray Studies Document Cartilage Regeneration in Five Degenerated Knees After Prolotherapy
- Prolotherapy is the Best Treatment for Knee Pain and Instability
- Prolotherapy as an Alternative to Surgery
- A Systematic Review of Dextrose Prolotherapy for Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Evidence-Based Use of Dextrose Prolotherapy for Musculoskeletal Pain: A Scientific Literature Review
- Joint Instability Treatment with Prolotherapy
Patient Success Stories using Prolotherapy for Knee Pain
Prolotherapy Saved Me From Bilateral Knee Replacements!
56 year-old Alek Jakich, an avid body builder, who suffered from chronic, severe, debilitating bilateral knee pain was told he needed bilateral knee replacements in order to have any chance at a semi-normal life again, but was also told he would likely never lift weights again post surgery. Instead, Alek chose Prolotherapy, along with proper exercise and nutritional supplementation over surgery to regain the active life style to which he was accustomed.
Get a second opinion from a Prolotherapist before undergoing knee surgery. Read the entire case study and Alek’s full results.
Flouroquinolones & Tendinosis
GH, a very active 60 yo with crippling, bilateral knee pain, unrelieved by daily anti-inflammatories, was very worried, due to unrelenting pain keeping him from playing tennis. Years earlier, he suffered from Achilles tendinosis associated with fluoroquinolone antibiotic intake, which lead to the stiff, tender iliotibial bands and painful hamstrings along the posterior knee, “like a giant steel U-shaped vise,” that lead GH to seek Prolotherapy. After one treatment to the bilateral ITB’s, hamstring insertions, and comprehensive injections around the knees, GH experienced “miraculous” pain-free movement, feeling 20 years younger.
Quinolone antibiotics are known to cause tendinosis which may mimic disabling arthritic type symptoms. Tendinosis is effectively treated with Comprehensive Prolotherapy.
Prolotherapy for Meniscal Tear
At age 65, IR’s active lifestyle was interrupted after he twisted his knee and heard an audible “snap.” He had visited Caring Medical in the past for successful shoulder treatments after a rotator cuff tear, so when the urgent care facility suggested he had a meniscus tear he knew where to go! After 3 treatments of Prolotherapy with Platelet Rich Plasma, IR reported no pain while playing golf or cycling!
Pain is a progressive and degenerative disorder. Addressing it right away with regenerative treatments can save a lot of grief. In the case of meniscal tears, PRP Prolotherapy gives excellent results, especially in athletes and active people.
Prolotherapy for Post Arthroscopic Surgery Pain
BR underwent arthroscopic surgery at age 61 after suffering a partial meniscus tear in her left knee. After surgery, she continued to suffer from knee pain and swelling for 10 years before consulting with Caring Medical. As an active 71-year-old who enjoyed working with horses, another surgery was not ideal. BR received 8 comprehensive treatments over the course of 13 months, alternating the standard dextrose solution and tibia bone marrow as the main proliferant. She reported a decrease in pain frequency and intensity with each treatment. As long as she maintains 90% pain relief with full activity, no further intervention will be needed.
Many patients are not informed how surgery may affect their joint mechanics and stability long-term, especially when tissue is removed, or even if the structure is “fixed.” This means patients can end up trying multiple surgical procedures and never fully feel back to their old self, prior to the initial surgery. In many of these post-surgical cases that we see, the joint shows multiple signs of instability and is on an accelerated path of degeneration. Sometimes, the realistic expectation is significant pain relief and increased activity, but due to the changes in mechanics after the surgery, the area may not ever feel 100%. Prolotherapy, however, does have the potential to get many of these cases pain relief that surpasses other treatment options!
Prolotherapy & PRP for Knee Injury
AS was already familiar with Prolotherapy and Caring Medical when he injured his knees at the age of 49. He had received Prolotherapy to his low back years prior which he referred to as “life-changing.” Due to the extent of his knee injury, the presence of meniscus tear, and his active lifestyle as an endurance athlete, a regimen of comprehensive Prolotherapy and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) was recommended. AS received 3 treatments and was able to return to full training capacity without pain!
Receiving Prolotherapy sooner than later often requires fewer treatments to restore the joint function and eliminate pain. Depending on the severity of the injury, it may only take 1-3 treatments to resolve.
Degenerative Knee Osteoarthritis
BB suffered such severe knee pain that he went on disability at age 59, diagnosed with “bone on bone” osteoarthritis. He was prescribed NSAIDs, given corticosteroid injections, and eventually received an arthroscopic meniscectomy with removal of cartilage. Viscosupplementation injections were also tried, but these also failed to bring about sustained pain relief. His orthopedist recommended a knee replacement. Instead, BB received 3 dextrose Prolotherapy treatments and saw almost immediate pain relief and overall long-term functional improvement.
Joints degenerate because of joint instability. Allopathic solutions such as NSAIDs, cortisone, arthroscopy and meniscectomy cause further degeneration. On the other hand, Prolotherapy repairs ligament laxity, stabilizing the joint and relieving chronic pain.
More Information about Prolotherapy for Knee Pain
Articles about Prolotherapy for Knee Pain
- The pain that did not go away after knee replacement
- How fast can I return to work after knee replacement? 15 to 30% of patients do not return to work
- Platelet Rich Plasma for Knee Osteoarthritis | When PRP will work and when PRP will not work
- Stem Cell injections for knee meniscus tears and post-meniscectomy
- Knee Synovitis | Synovial inflammation of the knee
- Research: For many, arthroscopic knee surgery does not work and in fact may be harmful
- Hyaluronic Acid Injections for Knee Osteoarthritis | Options and Alternatives
- Chronic Knee Pain, Knee Instability, and Degenerative Knee Disease | Comprehensive Prolotherapy
- Platelet rich plasma injections for meniscus tears
- Treating osteoarthritis in the aging athlete
- Can stem cell treatments help you avoid knee replacement by repairing your bone?
- Knee articular cartilage surgery and non-surgical repair
- Bucket handle meniscus tear repair and treatment options
- Stem Cell Prolotherapy for knee cartilage regeneration
- Prolotherapy Injections when the recommendation is Knee Replacement | knee osteoarthritis injections
- Why stem cell therapy did not work for your knee pain
- Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome
- Iliotibial Band Syndrome | Knee pain in Runners
- Being forced to wait for knee replacement is painful, significantly deteriorates your condition, worsens your knee pain
- Surgery and non-surgical treatments for patellar instability
- Bone Marrow Aspirate Prolotherapy for knee pain
- Research on Alternatives to Knee Replacement Surgery
- Patellar Tendinopathy | Jumper’s Knee
- ACL reconstruction surgery alternatives and treatment options | Prolotherapy, PRP and stem cells
- Prolotherapy for Meniscus Tears
- Should I have knee surgery for meniscus tear?
- Treating loose bodies in your knee
- Medial Collateral Ligament Knee Injury
- After ACL Reconstruction | Complications and knee instability
- Knee osteoarthritis pain worsens depression | Depression worsens knee osteoarthritis pain
- The many types of meniscus tears
- Arthroscopic surgery and stem cells – the best of both worlds?
- Oral Contraceptive Use | Does Estrogen cause or prevent ACL injury?
- Prolotherapy Baker’s cyst treatment
- Meniscus Scaffolds
- Joint replacement complications may be affected by pre-surgery depression and anxiety
- Treating the whole knee treats widespread body pain
- Knee Tendinopathy | Tendinosis | Tendonitis
- Chondromalacia Patella
- Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) Injury and Treatments
- Posterolateral corner injuries of the knee
- BEFORE you consider Knee Distraction Surgery
- Stem Cell Prolotherapy repair of the ACL tear
- LCL | Lateral Collateral Ligament Injury of the Knee
- Cobalt poisoning in knee replacements
- Osgood-Schlatter Disease
Videos about Prolotherapy for Knee Pain
Books about Prolotherapy for Knee Pain
Read about treating knee pain with Prolotherapy in our free E-book, Prolo Your Pain Away! Curing Chronic Pain with Prolotherapy, 4th Edition. This edition explains all about Prolotherapy and how it is used to permanently alleviate pain from arthritis, sports injuries, and all types of chronic pain conditions! Plus, it takes an expanded look at the medical literature and patient studies on Regenerative Medicine: Prolotherapy, Platelet Rich Plasma, Stem Cell Therapy, and more!
We Get the Best Results
In 9/10 cases we meet or beat the patients expectations. Our results are long lasting and provide permanent pain relief. This is why for 25 years, patients have been traveling from all over the world to see our providers. Give us a call, or fill out the form below to get started.